OCTOBER NEWSLETTER In this issue: – Celebrating 20 Years! – Christmas Recitals – Celtic Fiddle Orchestra Concerts – Student Feed Back – Did you read your Newsletter Contest – Welcome New Students – Is your teacher sold out? – Refer a friend and get $25 cash! Celebrating 20 Years! Since our humble beginning in October of 1994 we...
In this issue:
– Celebrating 20 Years!
– Christmas Recitals
– Celtic Fiddle Orchestra Concerts
– Student Feed Back
– Did you read your Newsletter Contest
– Welcome New Students
– Is your teacher sold out?
– Refer a friend and get $25 cash!
Celebrating 20 Years!
Since our humble beginning in October of 1994 we have made music lessons fun for literally thousands upon thousands of students. 20 years may not seem like a long time so I thought I would take a moment and explore 1994, in point form.
- Bill Clinton was the President of the United States
- Jean Chretien was the Prime Minister of Canada
- The movies Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump, The Shaw shank Redemption, and Jurassic Park were all in theatres at the same time.
- Tanya Harding conspired to assault Nancy Kerrigan during the 1194 figure skating championships in Detroit. (feeling old yet?)
- The average gas price in Toronto was 49.8 cents per litre
- The band Oasis put out the album (What’s the Story) Morning Glory. ” I remember teaching Wonder wall to so many guitar students!”
A lot has happened between then and now. My wife Jenn and I were married in 2000 and took over the music school management in 2001. We had 2 boys named Aidan (now 7), and Kieran (now almost 3), and bought our first home in 2006. Our second home in 2009. We open our Georgetown school that same year. The first Academy of Music location in Oakville started with lessons on the piano, guitar, voice, drums, and if you can believe it, accordion. We now offer private and semi-private lessons on 12 instruments. They are piano, guitar, ukulele, bass, voice, violin, viola, fiddle, drums, saxophone, clarinet, and flute.
We plan to do some really cool things to celebrate this year. Keep reading your newsletter and watch your email for ongoing info, and your chance to win some awesome prizes!
Christmas Recitals, what are you playing?
The annual Christmas recitals are coming on Sunday November 30th in Oakville and Saturday November 29th in Georgetown. If you are wondering if this is for you the answer is YES! These recitals are for all students.
Here are a few things that will help you get the most out of the recital.
Tickets to the recital are $10 for adults and $5:00 for kids under 12. Children under 4 and performers are free. Tickets will be sold at the door.
- Performers will sit in reserved seating in the front two rows. They may sit with their parents after their performance.
- Please try not to leave right after your child’s performance. The students at the end of the recital deserve an audience as much as the students at the beginning.
- Please don’t talk during the performance and try to keep young children quiet so the performers are not distracted.
- Please come 15 to 20 minutes early
- Students do not need to memorize their music and if they have we still strongly encourage them to bring their music in case they have any difficulties while performing.
- Students should use a paperclip or post it note on the piece they are playing so they don’t have to search for the page at the concert.
- Dress for the recital does not have to be formal, but please do not dress in immodest or sloppy clothing. The appearance of the performer is always an important part of the performance.
If you have any questions please talk to the desk or call the school office. We hope you enjoy the recital
Celtic Fiddle Orchestra Annual Christmas Concerts
The Oakville and Georgetown Celtic Fiddle Orchestras present their annual Celtic Christmas Concerts on Friday December 5th in Georgetown and Saturday December 6th in Oakville. You will be treated to a wide variety of traditional Christmas Carols as well the orchestra’s blend of jigs, reels, waltzes, and airs. Joining us in Oakville this year will be a fun group of musicians from Western Ontario called the Tillsonburg Celtic Music Club. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for kids under 12 and are available at the Academy. You don’t want to miss this!
Here’s a clip.
“Our son is thrilled to be taking guitar lessons with the Academy of Music. This is his second year, and it’s the one thing he looks forward to and is committed to, partially due to the fact that his teacher James is very encouraging and knows how to bring out the best in him. Thank you for doing such a great job!” Paula Cruickshank
Did You Read Your Newsletter Contest!
To increase readership of the Academy Newsletter each month we’ll feature a new contest winner or a new contest. Be sure to read your newsletter each month to see if your name has been drawn or you might miss out!
This month’s winner is:
Andrew has won a ten dollar iTunes gift card!
To redeem your prize just bring this to the office to claim your iTunes card. Congratulations!
Please welcome all the students
who enrolled at our schools in August and September
Is Your Teacher Sold Out?
Many of our teachers have sold out between the hours 4 pm – 8 pm. If you need a schedule change or would like to be added to a waiting list for a particular teacher, day or time, please contact our office and we can add you to the waiting list. There are still limited lesson spots available. To inquire about openings for September send an e-mail to [email protected] or call the office, Oakville (905) 845-1227 – Georgetown (905) 877-2770.
Refer a Friend and get $25 Cash!
If you refer a friend to the Academy and they register for lessons we will send you a thank you gift of $25.00 by refunding $25.00 to your account.
It’s EASY to refer
Just have your friend mention your name when they register and we’ll take care of the rest! We greatly appreciate your referral!
Referrals are not valid for immediate family. Add a family member to your account and get a free $25.00 registration.